Monday, July 23, 2012

Guest Post by Jessica Penot, Author of The Twilight Saint


Post-Apocalyptic Visions

The Twilight Saint is like nothing I’ve ever written before.  It is set thousands of years in the future.   The world as we know it was destroyed thousands of years ago.  The moon was shattered and genetic engineering has left the world filled with strange creatures.  The world is a ruined shell torn apart by war and violence.   Nothing of the world as we know it has been left behind and those that wander this landscape don’t even know that the world was ever different.   

As I contemplated the release of my post-apocalyptic epic, I couldn’t help but contemplate my other post-apocalyptic favorites.  Here are a few visions of the world after extinction level events that made me crazy for the genre.

1.        The  Road:   Cormac McCarthy’s brilliant story about a father and son trying to survive in a brutally violent landscape is both brutal and touching.
2.       The Passage:   The story of one girl’s journey through the apocalypse and into a devastated future is as beautiful as it is tragic.
3.       Hunger Games:   Everyone who ever reads these books says the same thing.  They say they can’t put them down.   These are some of the best post-apocalyptic books ever written.

The Twilight Saint is different from these visions of ruined futures because it is set so far in the future, but it is held together by the same ideas.  The idea that the world as we know it has ended and the survivors must survive in a hostile landscape.  The landscape in The Twilight Saint is violent in brutal, but there is hope and in the post-apocalyptic world, that is all there is to keep people going. The hope is different in every novel, but in my novel there is hope that people can stop fighting and one person can bring people together in a way that will stop the violence. 
   
You can learn about my tragic vision of the future in my book, The Twilight Saint.

Bio:

I am a therapist and writer who lives in Alabama with my three corgis, children, husband, and other strange creatures. My short stories have been published in numerous literary magazines and anthologies including CSM, Summer Gothic, Bound By Blood, and Outer Darkness. I have ghost story columns in theValley Planet and White Cat Magazine where I share my love for ghost stories that send shivers down your spine and keep you up at night.   I also share my passion for all things ghostly and haunted at my blog, ghost stories and haunted places.

I am currently working on my next Haunted America Book for History Press, Haunted South Alabama.  Follow me at my blog to learn about the ghost stories I am chasing and collecting for this fascinating addition to Haunted America.  I'm also working on the next book in my Circe series.  The demon is awake and waiting for my new heroine in the swamps of Southern Alabama. 
 Click Here to Follow My Blog!
You can contact me at   jessica.penot@gmail.com

The Twilight Saint on Amazon




















1 comment:

  1. Hi! Thanks for the guest post and thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm going to do a giveaway on my blog in a few days that I hope will bring some folks to this post:).

    ReplyDelete