Thursday, September 5, 2013

Review of Finding Olivia by Micalea Smeltzer


Description:

New Adult Contemporary Romance intended for readers 18+.


How far would you go to find yourself?

That’s the question that’s been haunting Olivia Owens for years.

All Olivia has ever wanted to do is live and make mistakes, but her preacher father has made that impossible. She believes that her years at college will be her ticket into the real world and her chance to be wild and spontaneous.

But she’s never been able to do it on her own.

At the start of her sophomore year, she only has four things crossed off her Live List, but that’s all about to change thanks to a chance encounter with Trace Wentworth. She’s about to learn that there’s more to this reformed bad boy than just his looks and panty dropping smile.

Trace can’t explain what it is that draws him to Olivia.

All he knows is that he wants to get to know the girl with the sad smile but sparkle in her eyes.

When she tells him about her list, he knows that this is his chance to get to know Olivia Owens. Trace is determined to show Olivia that she can do all the things she’s ever wanted to do. So, he begins to help her cross things off her list, even the more outlandish requests.

What happens along the way is more than what Olivia or Trace ever expected.

Love, laughs, and a list.

That’s the name of the game when you’re Finding Olivia.


Review:

As with all other Micalea Smeltzer's books, this one was fantastic! It might be one of my favorites. I loved the characters. Olivia and Trace were well thought out and consistent throughout the story.
I'm not a huge fan of the whole broken girls thing that most of the new adult genre has going on right now. To me, it's just depressing. This book had some of this, but it was done with tact and didn't drag the story down.
I could go on all day about how wonderful this book was. BUT, I don't want to give anything away that could ruin the experience for y'all. So I will leave it by saying that this is a must read new adult contemporary romance. It gets five glittery stars since it's so fantabulous!




Excerpt:

The dorm room door opened and I hastily stuffed the piece of paper back into my pocket.

Avery dropped her backpack on the floor and promptly pulled her hair up into a ponytail.
I grabbed my textbook off my bed, and placed it in my lap, pretending to be doing my homework so Avery wouldn’t start questioning me about what I had been doing.
I had never explained my list to anyone, let alone shown them, but I was beginning to think differently. Avery was my best friend but I certainly didn’t plan on showing her. She’d try to cross everything off in one night.
“Have you heard from Trace?” She asked, sagging into her desk chair, dejectedly. I guessed she’d had a hard time in class.
“He texted me,” I shrugged, like it was no big deal.
“Annnnd?” She prompted, perking up.
“We’re having dinner Friday,” I answered.
“Aww, my little Livie is growing up,” Avery cooed, batting her eyes, “and finding herself a man.”
“You’re ridiculous,” I rolled my eyes.
“What? It’s about time you dated, I was starting to think you were a lesbian, and I should stop changing in front of you,” she smirked.
I tossed my pillow at her but she easily deflected it.
“Or maybe,” she laughed, “you’re finally shedding that good girl preacher’s daughter image. Let your inner woman out, girl!” She exclaimed. “Let her roar!” She clawed dramatically at the air.
I cupped my face in my palm. “Do you think before you speak?”
“Rarely,” she grinned. “What do you think you’ll wear for your date?”
“First off,” I held up a finger, “it’s not a date. Secondly, do you only think about clothes?”
“Oh, it’s a date. And no, sex comes before clothes,” she grinned.
“Ugh,” I groaned. “You act like a horny teenage boy.”
“And someone sounds jealous,” Avery twirled around in her pink swivel chair.
“Of the fact that you’re practically a horny teenage boy? Hardly,” I snorted.
“But seriously,” she whined, still twirling, “what are you going to wear?”
She finally came to a stop and swayed dizzily.
“Probably jeans and a sweatshirt,” I shrugged.
Avery made a strangled noise in the back of her throat. “No! You can’t wear that!”
“We’ll be in the park and it’s cold out,” I shrugged.
“You still can’t wear that! A sweatshirt is completely unsuitable!” She gawked at me like I had grown three heads.
“I want to be comfortable,” I reasoned.
“You can be comfortable when you’re dead!” She squawked.
“Avery,” I rolled my eyes, “don’t be dramatic.”
“I am not being dramatic,” she spun in her chair again. “I’m just telling you what everyone with a vagina knows about the rules of dating,” she scoffed. “Everyone, except you, that is,” she added.
“Why does there have to be rules?” I groaned. “It’s stupid,” I complained, falling back on my bed, the textbook on my lap falling to the side.
“There are rules for the sake of our sanity,” Avery answered, striding across the room and sitting on the end of my bed. I kicked at her with my feet, trying to dislodge her.
“I’m wearing a sweatshirt,” I mumbled, “whether you like it or not. I don’t want to be cold.”
“Olivia,” she whined, “that’s the point, you’re supposed to get cold, so he can offer you his coat.”
I sat up, staring her down. “What is this? The colonial age? I swear, what handbook are you reading this from?” I grumbled.
“The one that’s been around since the dawn of time,” she reasoned with a wave of her manicured hands.
“And that’s exactly why it needs to be thrown away,” I pointed out. “Women should be able to stand on their own and not depend on a guy. Let alone these stupid rules that are the so-called guide to dating. It’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.”
Avery grinned. “I don’t need to depend on a guy. I’m perfectly capable of taking care of myself. I just like to take a ride on their fun stick every now and then.”
Avery!” I blushed. “You did not just say that!”
“I did,” she smirked, smoothing a finger over her red lips. “I love how when I say dirty things your little virgin ears turn red.”
I reached up, grabbing my ears. “They do not!”
“Oh, they do,” she nodded, grinning. “Back to the important matter at hand, these rules are a means to getting laid. To a guy, a sweatshirt is like practically wearing a chastity belt, telling him that these goods are not for sale.”
“Oh my God,” I buried my face in my hands, my hair falling around me. “When did this turn into a mission for me to get laid? Besides, my goods are definitely not for sale.”
“Girl, you’re a sophomore in college, who’s still a virgin. This has always been a mission to get you some sex, some great sex, and Trace is just the guy to do it. I can tell. It’s in the way he walks.”
I let my hands drop. “I’m not a virgin.”
“What? I thought you-”
“Remember last year, at that party you dragged me to?” I asked.
Avery’s mouth formed a perfect O. “No! Olivia! Not that guy! He looked like an ape!”
“He was pretty hairy,” I snorted.
Avery shuddered. “There’s no way that was a pleasant experience.”
“It wasn’t,” I shrugged. “Is it supposed to be?”
She looked at me like I had completely gone off my rocker this time. “Yes! It’s supposed to be amazing!”
“It lasted like two minutes, how is that amazing?” I asked, avoiding Avery’s gaze by scrunching the bottom of my shirt in my hands.
Avery’s eyes threatened to bug out of her head. “Two minutes? That’s it?!”
“Well, yeah,” I shrugged.
“Oh, girl, you can do sooooo much better than that,” Avery chuckled. “So much better,” she reiterated.
“What did you mean by, it’s in the way he walks?” I asked.
“What?” She asked, looking down at her hot pink nails.
“You said that you could tell Trace would be good in bed, that it’s in the way he walks,” I repeated her earlier statement.
“Oh!” She exclaimed. “Some guys have this walk they do. They don’t even know they’re doing it. If my experience speaks for anything, every guy that I’ve been with, that has the walk, knows exactly what he’s doing.” She rolled her hips and licked her lips to further drive home her point. “Trust me, Olivia, Trace can show you a good time.”
I hid my face behind my hands again. “I think I’ve reached my sex talk quota for the day.”
“Whatever,” Avery hopped up from my bed, scampering to her side of the room, “you suck.”
I turned my attention back to the homework I really needed to finish, and forced myself to stop thinking about Trace’s walk, and wondering if Avery was right.
 








Micalea Smeltzer is an author from Virginia. Her name is pronounced Muh-call-e-uh. She is permanently glued to her computer, where she constantly writes. She has to listen to music when she writes and has a playlist for every book she’s ever started. When she’s not writing, she can be found reading a book or playing with her three dogs.

You can email Micalea at:

Like her facebook page to stay updated on all the latest book news:

Follow her on twitter:

Website:



2 comments:

  1. I love contemporary romances and this one sounds amazing

    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not heard of the author before, but the books looks pretty good :) Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete