Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Review of The List by Kate L. Mary

The List. Twenty things every girl must do before she turns twenty. . .

Body piercing
Get drunk
First kiss


But thanks to her crazy, over-protective father, Annie Roth is way behind schedule. Good thing it’s her first semester of college, because Annie is more than ready to start checking off items. . .

Fake ID
Skinny dipping
Road trip!!!


Where it gets complicated? Ryan and Chris. Best friends. Both sweet, funny, totally hot, and totally into Annie.

But there are some things on The List that Annie only wants to do with Ryan. . .

Lose it
Get Heart Broken
Fall in love


Review:

When I read the description of this book, I couldn't wait to read it. The story looked like a fun read. I thought, a new adult romantic comedy, YES!!! That is my favorite kind of new adult book. So many on the market now, have really sad stories attached to them. They focus on heavy social issues/ family issues, making them somewhat depressing.

The unfortunate element to this book, was the focus on heavy family issues. There is so much trauma in these characters lives. I didn't expect it and boy, did I cry, like book cry really hard. I didn't sign up for a Molly McAdams' tearjerker. 

That being said, I did like the concept. It was a fun way to assimilate the main character into society and open her up to what life as a teenager was really like. She was very sheltered, so I did feel bad about her situation. 

I loved Cami's personality, but she was a little too wild to make a good role model for Annie. Even though Annie was exploring herself and held onto some sort of moral compass, I didn't like some of the things Cami exposed her to. 

Love triangles are my absolute favorite kind of romances! The only downside to this particular one, was that there was a clear choice throughout most of the book. I never for once thought it would end any differently.

Overall, even with the downsides to this book, it was a good read. I enjoyed being a part of Annie's journey. If you made a list of twenty things to accomplish in a year as a freshman in college, what would you choose? 

For me, a few of them would have been to 1. join a sorority (which I did!), 2. get good grades to keep my scholarship (which I didn't first semester), 3. learn to drink coffee (check!), 4. go to class in my pajamas without getting ready (too many times to count), 5. take a real road trip with friends (That was one of my favorite parts of college!), 6. find my future husband and get engaged (happened six months after graduation, so I'll count it), 7. try new foods (since I'm a picky eater, and yes, I learned to like may new things!), 8. travel to a foreign country (it actually took me about a year and a half to accomplish this one. I went to Grand Cayman and Cozumel), 9. figure out what I wanted to major in and do as a career (I used my biology degree for a long time before finally deciding I was going to be the author I always wanted to be), 10. spend more time with my family (I shared an apartment and went to school with my closest cousin), 11. throw epic parties (yes, the cops were called a few too many times!), 12.get a tattoo ( I got three before graduation, three after), 13. get more piercings (got my belly button done my freshman year and later my nose pierced after college), 14. Buy my own car (happened my senior year, got a new Honda civic), 15. Win the lottery (yep, won several thousand dollars my last semester in college) 16. See my favorite band in concert (again, did freshman year! I got to see the band Garbage!), but those are the MAIN things I wanted to accomplish!

 


Add to Goodreads

Pre-order on Amazon 


1 comment:

  1. Nice review. I like the sound of The List. I'll be adding it to my Goodreads shelf and keeping an out for its release date. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete